Jan Robert R Go, PhD
Assistant Professor of Political Theory
Associate Dean for Research, Extension, and Publications
College of Social Sciences and Philosophy
Office: Silangang Palma 325
Trunkline: (63 2) 8981 8500 local 2380
Links: Wu Anping 吴安平 (blog) | Research Gate | Google Scholar
Jan Robert R Go is an assistant professor of political theory at the Department of Political Science, University of the Philippines Diliman and currently Associate Dean for Research, Extension, and Publications of the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP). He has been the managing editor of the Philippine Political Science Journal (PPSJ), the internationally refereed journal of the Philippine Political Science Association (PPSA), since 2014. He was the coordinator of CSSP Computer Laboratory from August 2017 to August 2018. He also sits on the Board of Directors of the Philippine Association for Chinese Studies (PACS).
Assistant Professor Go obtained his Bachelor of Arts (Political Science) degree from UP Manila and Master of Arts (Political Science) from UP Diliman. For his Master’s research, he explored the politics of education decentralisation in a municipality in the Philippines. In 2017, he attended the Chinese Language Summer School at Peking University in Beijing, China. He received his doctoral degree in political theory from the Central China Normal University in Wuhan, China, in 2022. His doctoral dissertation focused on the politics of participation in urban communities in the Philippines and China during the pandemic-related lockdowns.
Dr Go was selected as a fellow for the 2021 American Political Science Association Asia Workshop, focusing on local politics and governance in East and Southeast Asia. He received the One UP Faculty Grant in Political Science (Local Politics) for Outstanding Research and Public Service from the University of the Philippines System for 2019-2021. Assistant Professor Go handles undergraduate courses in three of the five political science areas: Philippine politics (Area 1), political theory (Area 2), and political methodology (Area 5). His areas of interest include local politics and decentralisation, urban and rural grassroots politics, construction of power, participation theory, and Chinese politics.
Before joining the University as a full-time faculty member in 2014, Dr Go worked at the Emergency and Humanitarian Action unit of the World Health Organisation Regional Office for the Western Pacific. He was also a lecturer at the Department of Social Sciences of St Scholastica’s College in Manila.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Political Theory, Central China Normal University, Wuhan, China, 2022.
- Master of Arts (Political Science), University of the Philippines, Diliman, 2013.
- Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), University of the Philippines, Manila, 2009.
- Local politics and decentralisation
- Urban and rural grassroots politics
- Construction of power
- Participation theory
- Chinese politics
- POLSC 111: Qualitative Research Methods in Political Science
- POLSC 120: Introduction to Political Theory
- POLSC 137: Special Topics in Comparative Politics (China)
- POLSC 125/195: Asian Political Thought
- POLSC 126/196: Philippine Political Thought
- Soc Sci 2: Social, Economic, and Political Thought
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2023. ‘Decentralisation experiences in the Philippines: Social services sectors and the Local Government Code of 1991’. In A Better Metro Manila?: Towards Responsible Local Governance, Decentralization and Equitable Development, edited by Teresa S Encarnacion Tadem and Maria Ela L Atienza, 157-192. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Athiqah Nur Alami, Dien Nguyen An Luong, Ella Prihatini, Eryan Ramadhani, Jan Robert R Go,Noorul Hafidzah, Ummu Atiyah. 2022. “Democratization in the Digital Era: Experience from Southeast Asia.” Journal of ASEAN Studies 10(2): 227-246. DOI: 10.21512/jas.v10i2.9361
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2021. ‘Political Science Research and Methodology in Contemporary Philippines: An Analysis of the Philippine Political Science Journal, 2000-2019’. Asian Journal of Political Science Journal 29(2): 238-254. DOI: 10.1080/02185377.2021.1906289
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2020. ‘Online Course Learning in a Time of a Pandemic: The Wuhan Experience’. Philippine Journal of Public Policy: Interdisciplinary Development Perspectives 81-88.
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2020. ‘Wuhan 武汉’. DX Machina: Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature 14(2): 1-12.
- Atienza, Maria Ela L., Aries A. Arugay, Jean Encinas-Franco, Jan Robert R. Go, and Rogelio Alicor L. Panao. 2020. Constitutional Performance Assessment in the Time of a Pandemic: The 1987 Constitution and the Philippines’ Covid-19 Response. Strömsborg and Quezon City: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance and University of the Philippines Center for Integrative and Development Studies.
- Atienza, Maria Ela L., Aries A. Arugay, Francis Joseph A. Dee, Jean Encinas-Franco, Jan Robert R. Go, Rogelio Alicor L. Panao and Alinia Jesam D. Jimenez. 2020. Constitutional Performance Assessment of the 1987 Philippine Constitution Summary of Findings. Strömsborg and Quezon City: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance and University of the Philippines Center for Integrative and Development Studies.
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2018. ‘Claro M. Recto’. In Twentieth Century Philippine Political Thinkers: Selected Readings, edited by Jorge V Tigno. Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 406-412.
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2017. ‘Of choices, changes, and challenges: the Philippines in 2016‘. Philippine Political Science Journal 38 (1): 48-73. DOI: 10.1080/01154451.2017.1330022.
- Go, Jan Robert R. 2016. ‘Political Leadership and Education Politics: the Mayor and Education Services in Nasugbu, Batangas‘. Philippine Political Science Journal 37 (2): 111-134. DOI: 10.1080/01154451.2016.1193987.