Professor and Department Assistant Chair
Jean Encinas-Franco is currently a Professor in the Department of Political Science, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of the Philippines, Diliman. Before she entered the academe, she worked for 15 years at the Senate of the Philippines, where she was Director III of the Senate Economic Planning Office. She also lectured at the International Studies Department of Miriam College from 1999 to 2009 and was a Faculty Associate of its Women and Gender Institute. Her dissertation explores the politics of labour out-migration in the Philippines and the discursive representation of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) as “modern-day heroes”.
- PhD Political Science, University of the Philippines, Diliman, 2011.
- Master in Public Administration, University of the Philippines, Diliman, 1997.
Gender and the politics of labour out-migration; legislative politics; women’s rights
- Encinas-Franco, Jean, 2022. Filipino Women’s Substantive Representation in Electoral Politics in Devin Joshi and Christian Echle eds., Substantive Representation of Women in Asian Parliaments. Routledge: Oxfordshire and New York.
- Encinas-Franco, Jean. 2022. The Presidential Kiss: Duterte’s Gendered Populism, Hypermasculinity, and Filipino Migrants. International Journal for Masculinity Studies. Available at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/18902138.2022.2026107
- Encinas-Franco, Jean. 2021. Looking Back, Moving Forward: Philippine Migration Issues, Policies, and Narratives. Editor. Quezon City: Philippine Social Science Center and Philippine Migration Research Network.
- Encinas-Franco, Jean. 2020. Gendered Constructions of Overseas Filipino Workers and the Politics of National Shame. Journal of Human Rights and Peace Studies, 6(2), 283-310. Available at https://so03.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/HRPS/article/view/248963.
- Encinas-Franco, Jean (co-author). 2019. Understanding Culture, Society, and Politics (Revised Edition). Quezon City: C and E Publishing, Incorporated. (Textbook for Senior High School)
- Encinas-Franco, Jean et al. 2018. Narratives of Filipino Bride Returnees from South Korea: Implications to Research and Policy. HanPil Occasional Paper Series on Korea and the Philippines. Vol.3. pp. 53-82.
- Encinas-Franco, Jean (co-author). 2016. Understanding Culture, Society, and Politics (First Edition). Quezon City: C and E Publishing, Incorporated. (Textbook for Senior High School)
- Political Science 187(Feminist International Relations)
- Political Science 211 (Qualitative Research in Poliitcal Science)
- Poltiical Science 278 (Gender and Politics)